The Canadian Lung Associations website states : " Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in Canada. Radon exposure is estimated to be the cause of 16% of lung cancers. Radon decays quickly, giving off tiny radioactive particles. When inhaled, these radioactive particles can damage the cells that line the lung. Long-term exposure to radon can lead to lung cancer.
If you live in a building with high radon levels or if you spend a lot of time in one, you are at higher risk for lung cancer.
If you smoke and you live in a home with a high level of radon, you are at an even higher risk for lung cancer."
Radon Gas is a known carcinogen and it is known to exist in our homes and public buildings on PEI, yet it is rarely mentioned in the media. We choose to look for other cause of our elevated Cancer levels on Prince Edward Island such as pesticides and other factors. How many of those suggesting we have certain chemicals banned have actually tested their homes or workplaces for Radon ?
A radon test is simple and inexpensive, so why are people so hesitant to test? Ideally every single building where people breathe the air for a good portion of their day should be tested. This includes our schools and workplaces, but a great place to start is your home.
This is a threat that can very easily be reduced. For some reason we are reluctant to do it, and reluctant to spread the word about the dangers.